Bring your genuine passion for legal and business research and love of the law to this rare and varied role as a Legal Researcher within top-tier law firm. Support the Mergers & Acquisitions (M&A) practice group and the Projects, Infrastructure, Energy & Resources (PIER) sector. Balanced approach to WFH in this permanent full-time role. Supportive and positive team environment. Organisational Context.
As a leading international law firm headquartered in Asia and recognised as one of the world’s most innovative law firms, King & Wood Mallesons offers a different perspective to commercial thinking and the client experience. With access to a global platform, a team of almost 3,000 lawyers in 28 locations around the world, we work with clients to help them understand local challenges, navigate through regional complexity, and to find commercial solutions that deliver a competitive advantage. We want KWM to be a great place to work and grow by offering meaningful work, great management, a fantastic environment, growth opportunities and trust in the Firm’s leadership. Want to be part of it?
The Knowledge team provides research and search and registration support to all staff and offices through its centralized Knowledge Research service. As part of Knowledge, you will join the highly regarded Research & Information (R&I) team, which provides legal and business research assistance, curated renews and other current awareness services, and a range of research training. Reporting to the Sydney-based Knowledge Team Leader, and supported by a wider team of nationally based Knowledge Consultants*, as a Legal Researcher within top-tier law firm you will become a trusted advisor to the M&A practice group and the Projects, Infrastructure, Energy & Resources industry sectors, with a wide range of resources at your disposal.
Read more: Senior Business Analyst – Health Services
- Based in the Sydney CBD office, with a flexible approach to WFH, supporting 2 specific Sydney-based practice groups, your key responsibilities will be to:
- Undertake simple and complex legal and business research
- Advise legal staff on advanced legal research strategies and techniques
- Prepare research reports
- Maintain an in-depth understanding of, and be highly skilled in the use of, relevant legal and business research resources
- Identify, select and summarize content for inclusion in e-news, our current awareness newsletters
- Proactively monitor for key trends and developments affecting the firm’s business and clients, and communicate relevant information to the firm’s partners, lawyers and other internal stakeholders
- Develop and maintain training content, including presentations, research guides, checklists, and e-learning content
- Deliver training presentations and facilitate workshops
- Continuously seek opportunities to ensure that the firm’s staff possess the awareness and technical skills to effectively access and utilise the firm’s research and current awareness resources
- Review and evaluate legal and business research services
- Manage small scale projects
Who we are looking for?
With your client centric approach you will bring your passion for research and the law, and understanding of the value-add a role like this has to our practicing lawyers. You will enjoy working in a fast-paced environment, understand time sensitive work, however also have the experience and confidence in your ability to influence without authority, prioritise and manage your workload. Ideally, you have work experience in the legal industry. Your qualifications in law or information science will set the foundation for success.
You will also need:
Experience and understanding of legal research principles, resources and techniques
Ability to deliver to deadlines and self-manage and prioritize competing tasks
Excellent technical skills, including a good working knowledge of the Microsoft Office suite
Experience with legal and business research databases
Ability to teach skills
Excellent communication and writing skills
Ability to be part of, and work effectively in, a geographically dispersed team
Ability to provide exceptional information and knowledge management services
Adaptable, agile and innovative
Ability to build strong networks within and outside the firm
[link removed]*Please note internally this role is called Knowledge Consultant – Mergers & Acquisitions (M&A) and Projects, Infrastructure, Energy & Resources (PIER)
Please click ‘Apply Now’ to apply online with your cover letter summarising why you’re applying and your resume to support your experience. Applications close COB Tuesday 31st August, 2021. If you have any questions or need any further information, please don’t hesitate to reach out to Bridget on 02) 9296 3563.
Diversity & Inclusion
King & Wood Mallesons is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to principles of diversity and inclusion. Applications from people of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander descent are encouraged. We acknowledge, understand, accept, and value differences among all our people. This may relate to age, marital status, ethnicity, career’s status, gender, physical and mental disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, spiritual practice, or religious belief, for example.
We recognize the importance of reconciliation with Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples and pay our respects to them as the traditional owners of country. If you are not an Australian citizen or permanent resident, you must hold all visas and other approvals necessary for you to work for the firm in Australia.
Agencies – please note that we are not accepting applications from agencies for this role.